Pt. III: What's The Problem?
The first step in addressing denial when it comes to substance abuse is identifying the confusion that exists with regard to the vast amount of terms used in connection with the issue. To be effective, professionals and the general public alike must be clear about what we're talking about!
a. Substance Use Disorder is the medical classification for a condition that ranges from Mild to Severe.
b. The evolving landscape of substance use terminology:
* substance use, misuse, abuse?
* addiction? dependence? alcoholism? chemical dependency?
* social use? experimental use? recreational use?
c. The “Matrix of Confusion”
* Professional terminology (medical classifications)
* Layman's terms (general public)
Teen Substance Abuse
A Motivational Appoach to Prevention and Intervention